CND on TN, Form T1 Schedule A

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

lotusland

CND on TN, Form T1 Schedule A

Post by lotusland »

I arrived in US on TN 09/2005 to work for USA employer. I am a CND citizen and worked in Canada from 01/2005-08/2005. Only CND income for 2005 is from CND employer. I have been deemed a non-resident of CND as of 09/2005 by the CRA Intl Tax Services.

While doing my taxes via commercial software it asked me to complete a T1-Schedule A and report World Income. However the actual Schedule A form reads:

"Complete this schedule if you were a deemed non-resident of Canada for all of 2005"

My question is not about the accuracy of the software I am using, but whether I have to complete this Schedule A and report world income based on the fact that I was a deemed non-resident for only part of 2005, not "all" of 2005. :)

I have not completed my USA taxes yet, as I filed for an extension. However, I assume that I must complete form 1040NR?

Your help would be appreciated.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are not a full-year non-resident for 2005, you need to do a normal tax return, but indicate a departure date ox 09/dd/05, prorating your basic amount.

The only time you will need to filea schedule A is if, in some future year, you have certain Cdn income that you may have to report in canada, or request special tax treatment.

You should be looking over the "Emigrants" tax guide from CRA, and simply be sure that you meet all its requirements.

You won't ba alble to e-file, so it doesn't matter if you have to override some of the auto inputs the software makes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D