Are TN renewal costs tax deductible?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

jen

Are TN renewal costs tax deductible?

Post by jen »

I have lived in the US for a few years and will be itemizing deductions for the first time. Can I deduct my costs to get a new TN on the US return? For example: flight, hotel, workpermit charge.

thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You'd have a tough time convincing me that the flight and hotel were legit expenses (if they were your firm would have paid them), but the filing charge sure is, as would any legal fees YOU paid and were not reimbursed.

Unfortunately, if you are an employee, it is part of the miscel. expenses on Sched A, so you need to accumulate 2% of your income in such expenses before you can begin deducting.

Please tell me you didn't spend over a thou in flying to get your TN.

If you are a contractor these are all legit business expense, going on your Business expense schedule.

<i>nelsona non grata</i>
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

How about the legal fees for a Labor Certification? Would that be deductible?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Yes, but (a) only in the same manner as was indicated above, and (b) why are you paying these, since this is really a company matter.

<i>nelsona non grata... and non pro</i>
jen

Post by jen »

Nelson,

Not every company pays for visas, work permits and labour certification, etc. Being an architect, none of the companies I have discussed this with will pay for any of these expenses. So, if I want to work in the US, I must pay for everything, which is a significant amount of money. Plus, with my other employment expenses I will be over the 2% you keep quoting.

Therefore, these are valid questions. Aren't we trying to help each other out here? Why are you being so belligerent?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Belligerent or not -- I would argue 'not'(but that would probably make me belligerent) -- I have answered your question(s).

How else can I help you, pay your expenses for you?

If you are an employee, being hired as an employee, the company should be paying to get your TN at the very least.

If they are not, you are selling yourself short, and in turn, cheapening all immigrant workers in the long run.

So how are you helping me, again?

Don't do that.

Remember that a lousy tax deduction is nowhere near as valuable to the employee as actually having the company pay (which would be fully deductible to them by the way).

Do you have to rent your own computer at work, too? howe about your chair?

P.S. In the fianl analysis, what I am trying to do is save you MONEY, not just tax payments, but actual money.

Yeah, <i>real</i> belligerent.
joao

Post by joao »

Nelson,

I have heard opnions from different professionals regarding this issue. Has the us tax court filed a case on this issue of immigration lawyer fees being deducted on Schedule A? If not, could you give me some authority where you based your decision on. Thanks for all your pro bono work.....[:D]

Joao
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I would suggest you look up any court cases, or pay someone to do this.