Confirmation of e-filing without 8891

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Confirmation of e-filing without 8891

Post by nelsona »

While I trust that most of you have been e-filing your 1040 and then submitting a paper 8891 thereafter (we have been suggesting this since the days of the Rev Proc 89-45 statements), it has come to my attention that some Cdns have been misinformed by both IRS telephlunkies and by Turbotax software people that, since 8891 is not included in Turbotax, that one cannot e-file.

Let me confirm that this is NOT true. In fact we got a pleasant letter from my region office last week thanking us for including our 8891 statements in our 1040-X. Nothing else was ammended. We have been doing this for several year, thru the various evolutions of RRSP reporting.

E-filing without 8891 does NOT constitute an incomplete return (Ttax even suggested it would be a FALSE return). Including it in an amendment a few weeks after you e-file is PERFECTLY legal, proper, and an effective way of availing oneself of e-filing, which is preferred by the IRS.

Just to clarify, there are certain forms that must be included along with your 1040 if you report certain income, or request a certain credit or deduction. Usually the 1040 or schedule clearly indicates this right on the pertinent line (Include Form 1234; Complete Schedule Z, etc). Mising these forms would invalidate your e-file.

This is not the case with 8891. Hopefully, next year 8891 will be included in both Turbotax and Taxcut, but, until it is there is no problem e-filing without.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Jaspal

Post by Jaspal »

Although we know about the 8891 requirement through this forum, I wonder how anyone is expected to know about it if popular tax software, Turbotax or Taxcut, do not even mention it. This form was approved last year March or so, Why is not part of the tax software?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

People have been (in my opinion) overly critical of ttax et al for not providing 8891. can they, sure. should they, yeah. But just because it exists doesn't mean ttax must provide it.

It is still a rarely used form, and many otherforms are not in ttax.

Besides, IRS barely knows how to fill it, do you expect ttax to be able to help you file it correctly?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
flames9

Post by flames9 »

I called IRS a few times with regards to form 8891 and they were clueless!! Long live Nelson!!
Jaspal

Post by Jaspal »

In March/April 2005, I saw a memo on IRS website with description of 8891 form, including logic on how to fill this form. This memo perhaps was for those interested in implementing it in their software, but ttax et el perhaps had more important things at hand.
blogGreen88

irs problems

Post by blogGreen88 »

This is a good talking about the irs problems!!I learn a lot more about irs problems here,I like it.
I search Yahoo for long time and find here.By the way I found some content on another website about it.Also,you can find some other on it,such as achat appareil photo or boligsalg or doming.
LOL!Good job and go on talking plz,boys :)