Capital gains exemption on sale of home

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rsargant

Capital gains exemption on sale of home

Post by rsargant »

Hi,
I tried doing a search for an anwser to this question, but didn't have any luck.

If a Canadian purchases a home in the U.S, then sells it when they return to Canada, are they entitled to the U.S capital gains tax exemption of $250,000.

Somebody told me there is a flat 30% tax for non-residents. The exemption is only available to permanent (green card) residents or U.S citizens. I am trying to get a solid anwser to this question since it would greatly impact my decision to purchase a home for a relatively small time period (say 3-4 years).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If it is your principal home for 2 years or more, it is tax-free in US , even after you move to canada, as long as you sell it within 3 years of leaving.

There are no special rules for resident aliens: if you reside in US, and file a 1040,you follw and benefit from the same tax rules as for citizens or GCs. You are not considered a non-resident at that point.

Only if you left, and then sold more than 3 years later would you be subject to *some* US tax. There may be withholding, but you would get most or all of it back. Of course if you sold 3 years after returning to Canada, you would have some Cdn tax to pay, based on the growth after you left US.

But if you move down, buy a house, live in it for 2 or more years. sell up nd leave US, its tax-free. Period.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D