Scholarship income earned in Quebec, by Ontario resident

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

gpacino

Scholarship income earned in Quebec, by Ontario resident

Post by gpacino »

Suppose 100% of my income is earned as a "scholarship or bursary", in Quebec. From past filings, I know that if I reside in Quebec and obviously file a Quebec provincial return, the "scholarship or bursary" income is not taxable. (You include it as income, but later on in the form, deduct it).

Now suppose I move to Ontario at the end of the year, so by living in Ontario on Dec. 31, I am now considered a resident of Ontario.

It appears that since I now have to file an Ontario return, all of my income (which was not taxed in QC), is now taxable (both federal and by Ontario).

Is this correct, or is there some form to file so that I would not have to pay tax on the income in Ontario? (except federal).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is a forum for US/canada tax issues, this is a purely CDn tax issue...

Your income (all income) is reportable only in Ontario, if that is where you lived on 13/12/05. You pay the same tax rate and receive the same deductions as someone who lived in ON the whole year. Any QC tax that was withheld is added to your federal tax withheld on line 437.

If you were getting a special tax break for being a QC resident, it is lost.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
gpacino

Post by gpacino »

Sorry about that, it slipped my mind.
Thanks for the info though.