Teaching Assistantship Income = Employment Income?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

NewtoUS

Teaching Assistantship Income = Employment Income?

Post by NewtoUS »

Hi Nelson. First thank you for answering my questions on how to file CAN return as a student in US. I have one more question. As my husband stayed in CAN until Dec. 25, 2005 though I moved out on August 16, 2005, I understand that I have to report my US income between August 16 and Dec. 25, 2005 as foreign income. But how can I report this income on the tax return? My income came from Teaching Assistantship. Should I report it under Other Income or simply under Employment Income? Also, there's no special W-2 designed to send to CCRA, should I just attach the copy for individual use? Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It is considered wages.

Just send a photocopy, of both W-2 and 1040, just like the instructions state.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
NewtoUS

Post by NewtoUS »

Thank you Nelson. When you said "W-2 and 1040", did you mean "W-2 and 1042-S"? The 1042-S Form (Foreign Person's US Source Income Subject to Withholding) is another form I received in addition to the W-2. Thanks!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, I'm refering to the 1040 that you will send to iRS:RA wants a copy if you are going to claim US tax as a credit.

They also ask for W-2. After that, it's upto you.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D