Need advice on whether to File CDN Taxes- CDN (PR) + H1B

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

rkanda1

Need advice on whether to File CDN Taxes- CDN (PR) + H1B

Post by rkanda1 »

Hi All

I have a question regarding canadian taxes . I am a canadian permanent resident ( NOT A CITIZEN) working in the US on H1B . Since I was in US for whole of 2005, do I need to file any canadian taxes. Basically, I am looking for someone who is/was in a similar situattion and can shed some light on this . I have already looked at info available on canadian revenue Agencie's website , but I am not very clear about some of the info ( such as non-resident, residential ties etc) listed there and would appreciate your feedback.

PS: I do not own any house/property in Canada and my whole family lives with me in US

Thanks in Advance for your help
-RK
worryfreeinvestor

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

Given the info you've disclosed, I'd say it's unlikely that you have to file a Canadian tax return, but if you think there's any risk, I'd recommend seeing a pro. If you have non-registered investments in Canada, you should have already told your financial institution(s) that you are a non-resident, so they are withholding taxes to the CRA. You'll want to claim a credit on your 1040 for that, but need do nothing with CRA yourself.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It would have been best if you had declared you departure in 2004 on your 2004 tax return. That is how one advises CRA that one has left canada.

You likley should review the information in the Emigrants guide from CRA, and amend your 2004 tax return accordingly. you probaly have not met all the requirements, some of which worry outlined above.

Your Cdn PR status does not require tha tyou maintain Cdn residentail ties, nor require you to file a Cdn tax return if you are not residing in canad (it used to be this way).
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D