Questions on US Consultancy

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

kay_dee

Questions on US Consultancy

Post by kay_dee »

Hello All;

I am a Canadian Citizen living in BC. I have been offered a consultancy position in New Jersey, USA. I have been given the option of being a W2 employee (for the recruiter that landed me the job) or a “corp-to-corpâ€￾ – meaning I would create a BC/Canadian corporation and bill my services to the recruiter.

My questions;

* Is it better to be a corporation working in US or an employee?
* Am I responsible to IRS for income earned in US if I am a Canadian corporation? What kinds of rates am I looking at?
* Can I hire my wife as a “receptionistâ€￾ or “assistantâ€￾ for my corporation, and pay her? Would she need a Visa to accompany me to the US as an employee of my corporation?
* Is it better to be BC based or Ontario based corporation?
* Can you tell me pros vs. cons of W2 versus Corp to Corp?
* What can I legitimally deduct as a W2 versus Corp to Corp?
* What kinds of records/receipts do I need to retain for a corporation? Bookkeeping, etc.
* I know that there is a per diem for W2 employees; is there anything similar to that for corporations, or employees of a corporation?
* Do you know under what terms/conditions I would be eligible for per diem as a W2 employee?
* Would per diem affect my Canadian taxes if I apply to be declared a non-resident citizen?

…kuldip