Form 8801

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Peter G Hamilton

Form 8801

Post by Peter G Hamilton »

IRS Form 8801 is used to claim credit for US Alternative Minimum Tax for future years when there is no AMT. A key input is line 12 which asks for "Minimum Foreign Tax Credit for Exclusion Items". The IRS instructions for this line are very complicated, in fact I can't really understand them.
Is there an easy or simple way to get a number for this line?

Peter
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Anytime you get into AMT, you should be using software. I would even go so far as to say that doing 1116 by hand is frought with peril.

8801 is supported by all the off-the shelf packages, invest in the $19.00.

Besides, you aren't claiming return of AMT this year, are you?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Peter G Hamilton

Post by Peter G Hamilton »

I have AMT for this year (2005). Apparently I need to fill out 8801 to establish a claim for future years. I am using Taxcut for US (and Quicktax for Canada). Much of 8801 is filled out by Taxcut. However line 12 is not. It requires an entry by me. (or else I don't understand the form).

Peter