Joint Account in USA

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Mswalleye2

Joint Account in USA

Post by Mswalleye2 »

If my US Citizen husband and I have a joint account with a lump sum in it (in USA) .. I am a non resident alien .. can he gift that lump sum to me and then I alone claim it in Canada, tax free from USA? but we leave it in USA? The 1099 has his name on it only...but it is a joint account?
nelsona

Re: Joint Account in USA

Post by nelsona »

A joint account would have both names on it, so it isn't really a joint account.

If he gifts you money, then he still has to pay Cdn tax on the interest, due to CRA attribution rules. And he would have no tax in US to write off against it, what would be the benefit?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Mswalleye2

Re: Joint Account in USA

Post by Mswalleye2 »

Our statements have both names, we set it up together but 1099 only has his name?? I will check on that. I was trying to eliminate another piece of paper to be filed .. FTC's for resourcing. tks