Another 401(k) question...

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

formerpatriot

Another 401(k) question...

Post by formerpatriot »

In a document titled "Strategies for Canadians with U.S. Retirement Plans" published by Sun Life in March 2015 and available online, it says
"Under the Canada - United States Income Tax Convention (the treaty), Canadian Residents may enjoy continued tax deferral of their IRA, 401(k) plan and Roth IRA balances once they return to Canada just as they would if they were still U.S. residents. Continuing tax deferral isn't automatic. Canadian plan owners must file an election each year with their Canadian tax returns to defer tax on their IRA and 401(k) balances. Curiously, the CRA provides no form or published guidance for plan owners wanting to make this election, except for Roth IRAs".

I lived and worked in the U.S. back in the late 80s and early 90s. I have a 401(k). (It is actually a 403(b) and a 401(a) but that's essentially the same). I moved back to Canada in the early 90s. I have never filed an "election for continued tax deferral". Should I? I plan to retire in 2 years and I expect to start withdrawing from my 401(k) at that time. It is my understanding that 15% will be withheld for the IRS provided I inform my plan sponsor.
FormerPatriot in Montreal
nelsona

Re: Another 401(k) question...

Post by nelsona »

Only your Roth and Roth401(k) accounts need to be reported.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

… meant need have election filed.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
formerpatriot

Post by formerpatriot »

Thank you.
FormerPatriot in Montreal