Tax Implications of Immigration

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

zeldmac

Tax Implications of Immigration

Post by zeldmac »

Hello!
I recently did the math of how much my family of three could save to prove we have the required funds, and I believe we will be ready to apply to the federal skilled worker program in a year. We are learning French and are looking to move in or near Montreal. I currently work remotely from Tennessee for an American university as a W2 employee.

Do you know how quickly I will have to quit my remote job for the American University to avoid major tax issues? I'm not sure if going through the Skilled Worker program involves certain Canadian employment or tax obligations. Or, if after we move, if I have a certain amount of time where I would be able to keep working remotely until I find a Canadian job. I'm not sure what the immigration or tax implications are of maintaining an American address for my remote job while being a new PR in Canada. I have family in NY and we have a small child so we might be back and forth quite a bit to be with them sometimes. I definitely want to work for a Canadian entity eventually, but it would help a lot if I could keep my remote job in the transition, even if only for a little while. My husband will not have this issue, he will be taking care of our daughter until he finds a Canadian job.

Also, I'm not sure, after we apply, how long the process is and on average how long you have before being invited to apply, and an average of how long after you are invited until we actually get to move to Canada. We are just figuring out how much time we would have to sell our house and make moving arrangements if we are lucky enough to be able to move.

Thanks, everyone!