New immigrant moving to Canada from the US - 183 days CA residency?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

desklamp

New immigrant moving to Canada from the US - 183 days CA residency?

Post by desklamp »

I'm a new Canadian permanent resident planning my move from the US to Canada. I was physically in Canada for 7 days this month for getting the PR formalities done. I have signed a lease for an apartment in Canada starting July 1. I'll be working for a Canadian subsidiary of my current US employer. I have lived and worked in the US for 7 years but I'm not a US citizen or PR (I'm on H1-B). I have two options:

1. I can move this week (July 5) - This will mean I will spend more than 183 days physically present in Canada in 2019

2. I move next week (after July 10) - This will mean I will spend less than 183 days physically present in Canada in 2019

Will this make a difference in the total amount of tax I have to pay in 2019 to both the US and Canada? Does it change my reporting requirements in Canada for my US income this year?

Thanks for your assistance!
nelsona

Re: New immigrant moving to Canada from the US - 183 days CA residency?

Post by nelsona »

Whne moving to/from Canada the 183 days has no meaning. Your residency start/stop date is determined when you move, and you become/cease to be resident on that day. The 183 days is only important if if you are not resident at all in canad for the entire year, but spend 183 days or more in Canada (making you a deemed resident for that year only,
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
desklamp

Post by desklamp »

Thank you for your reply! It sounds like the date of my move will not matter so much in this case.

One more question: I'm planning to move back to the US in about 14 months. So I'll have to file dual returns in two years consecutively. Will the IRS be concerned that I have two back to back split years?
forbizuser

Post by forbizuser »

Does anyone know where to find good freelance accountant in Canada? Sorry if it is offtopic.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No they will not care.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D