Withdraw funds from IRA to pay CDN capital gains on rental

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Russ

Withdraw funds from IRA to pay CDN capital gains on rental

Post by Russ »

I am a CDN citizen / resident. Moved back from US last year, from many years working in the US as TN. I have a large-ish IRA in US. Once I'm past 59 1/2, If I wanted to 'move' money from my US IRA to my CDN RRSP, but with using capital gain on a rental property would this be okay?

For example, if I had a capital gain of say, $100K CDN when I sold a rental property I own, then I believe in Canada, $50K would be taxable. For ease, let's say that would be $20K CDN tax.
An accountant recently mentioned to me that in the same year I sold the property, I could also withdrew an amount equal to that $20K CDN tax from my US IRA (where US holds $20K CDN amount for 30% tax), then the amount I withdrew could go straight into my RRSP.

Is this correct and does it make financial sense as I would be paying the 30% to the US in tax and the capital gains 50% amount tax to Canada anyway?

Thanks.
Russ

Re: Withdraw funds from IRA to pay CDN capital gains on rental

Post by Russ »

Still hoping for an answer for this question.

I realize that there's a way to take out money from a US IRA that one has, pay the tax in US, then apply that tax already paid in Canada for current year's income. However, I haven't be able to find out info on this site where the money made in Canada for the current year is from capital gains tax incurred from selling a rental property.

Can this be done?

Thanks for any help on this.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

This is generally correct.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Russ

Post by Russ »

Thanks Nelson.