Another Address Question

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mirela

Another Address Question

Post by mirela »

I used QuickTaxWeb and managed to put a departure date on the return. In order to file the provincial tax, I had to put my last address in Ontario.
I know I shouldn't use a fake address.

Here's the confusion:
I wasn't asked anywhere what is my new address in US. I actually have a return, how do I notify CRA to send my return in US?

Thanks.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You should ask Taxweb. What made you think this was a software forum?

There is no reason why your current address should be tied to where you lived on Decembner 31st, or for departing residents, when you left canada.

Ufile, for example, has a differnt profile for non-residents than for departing residents, and this problem does not come up.

In genaral though, one should not expect tax software to be able to handle every situation, and this goes doubly for the web-based applications.

You should be using you current address in the US as your address, and you should be entering Ontario has you province of residence for 2005.

What if you ahd moved to Moose Jaw 3 weeks ago? Would the software fail?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Carson

Re: Another Address Question

Post by Carson »

mirela wrote:I used QuickTaxWeb and managed to put a departure date on the return. In order to file the provincial tax, I had to put my last address in Ontario.
I know I shouldn't use a fake address.

Here's the confusion:
I wasn't asked anywhere what is my new address in US. I actually have a return, how do I notify CRA to send my return in US?

Thanks.
How's this for a novel idea? If there is no override for the province of residence (allowing you to put in your proper US address), then print out the return as it is, and white out the address and handwrite in the proper one before mailing. Pretty sophisticated, eh?

Note, you can't EFILE anyway as an emmigrant.
worryfreeinvestor

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

Before I left Canada, I informed CRA of my new US address (April 2005). A while back, CRA (in Hull, QC) mailed me T1 package, with a sticky label carrying my U.S. address. There are two quirks: I have moved within the U.S. since that date; and they set me a T1 package for Ontario, but I moved from BC!

Luckily, since I moved to my new address within the U.S., I have gotten on solicitation lists for a number of American charities, who have kindly furnished me with sticky mailing labels in their mail-shots!

So, what I plan to do is print out either UFile or Quicktaxweb (where I can specify BC), slap on the sticker that came with my tax-package from CRA, and then overlay that with an address label from one of the charity solicitations (such that it does not obscure my SIN on the sticky label from CRA).

I think that beats anyone else's hi-tech solution!
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Why on earth would you put a sticky over sticky?

The instructions always state to use the sticker provided by CRA (if you have one) and then 'correct' that one.

Is your penmanship so bad, that you cannot write clearly :wink: ?

CRA International always seems to send "ontario' T1 to Emigrants. Don't know why, but it is anotherreson not to trust any info you get from them.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
worryfreeinvestor

Perhaps the dumbest address question ever, but I gotta know

Post by worryfreeinvestor »

I departed BC on April 29, 2005, for the U.S.

If I complete the paper T1 General, in the box "information about your residence", the first command is "enter your province or territory of residence on December 31, 2005." Below that, it commands "if you became or ceased to be a resident of Canada in 2005, give the date of:..."

Do I leave the first part blank? If so, do I just complete the TI for BC without stating explicitly in the "Identification" section that I lived in BC for the first 4 months of the year?