US Citizenship and Immigration nonresidence letter

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

plaster

US Citizenship and Immigration nonresidence letter

Post by plaster »

I completed a W8BEN form for iTrade and included my SSN, which I got when I worked in the US a while ago. Unfortunately, that caused iTrade to question my status as a Canadian citizen or resident. They are requesting a letter/declaration from the US Citizenship and Immigration Service stating that I am not a resident of the US. They seem to imply that it is a standard letter. I've search the US CIS website and there is no mention of such a thing. Unfortunately, you can not contact US CIS through their website unless you have a case number, you can not phone them unless you are calling from the States, and they will not answer emails on general questions. Has anyone gotten or heard of a letter of nonresidence from the US CIS?

Thanks in advance.
Bumble

Re: US Citizenship and Immigration nonresidence letter

Post by Bumble »

I kind of doubt USCIS would issue such a letter, as this isn't a standard document. Can you provide some other document that indicates your non-resident status, such as an expired work permit or perhaps a copy or transcript of any 1040-NR you have previously filed?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There is no such letter.

Is iTraDE a Cdn brokerage? If so, wouldn't proof of Cdn residency be better, like an NR74 from CRA? Have you lived in US in the past?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
plaster

Post by plaster »

Thanks Bumble and nelsona for your replies. I worked in the US under a TN visa and left 15 years ago. Unfortunately, I don't have many documents from that period. I do have a stamp on my old passport showing admittance under TN status and I'll see if iTrade, which is a Canadian brokerage firm, will accept that. I looked at the NR74 form and it didn't seem to apply to me. I hadn't previously thought of looking for forms from CRA. I searched and found 2 that might help me. One is a declaration of tax residency (RC518 https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... rc518.html) and the other is a certificate of (tax) residency issued by CRA ( https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... dency.html ). The certificate, which is issued by CRA, is more official but will take 8 to 10 weeks. Anyways, I'll ask if either are acceptable. Thanks again.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just tell them you are a CDN resident. This has nothing to do with US.

Better yet, tell them you will take your business elsewhere.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D