Medical Leave Pay/Disability Income--US citizen, Canada PRes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Your disability payment is in all likelihood a 'pension' in the eyes of IRS and CRA, so you wil be taxed in both US and then Canada, with Canada granting you a tax credit on the US tax owed.

You will continue to file a US tax return while living in Canada (likely joint with your spouse), as well as one in Canada.

There is no problem selling your prinmary residence soon after entering Canada, although it is simpler to do so beforehand.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As soon as I sent out my response, I mused that you might not be married in the US-sense (same-sex or otherwise).

it is one of the main reasons why yanks are moving to canada.

That and their hatred of the current Administration's policies.

There is no problem with anyone owning property in US and living in Canada. There is no tax issue as long as this was your principal residence.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D