Using turbotax for reporting RRSP withdrawal

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

cbk

Using turbotax for reporting RRSP withdrawal

Post by cbk »

Has anyone successfully used Turbotax to report an RRSP withdrawal and claim a deduction for foreign taxes paid? I've figured out my taxable amount, and know I should "fake" a 1099R, but am unsure what to put in the boxes for that section, since I don't actually have a 1099R to go by. I also tried to enter the foreign tax as a deduction, but it seemed to make no difference in my taxes owed.
Any help would be appreciated. I really don't want to try doing taxes manually.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The deducted taxes don't have to go on the faked 1099-R, in fact they should not.

merely enetr them on schedule a.

You may have so few deductions that the program is electing to give you the standard deduction, which is quite likel;y unless you have a mortgage.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are merely creating a 1099-R to populate line 16a and b of 1040.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
cbk

Post by cbk »

I do itemize deductions. I couldn't figure out where to enter the info for taxes paid in the deduction section of Turbotax. I tried enttring it in "other expenses" and it ended up being classified as a Generation skipping tax.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

There is a specific line on schedlue A for foreign taxes paid. Enter it there.