Moving from San Francisco to Toronto

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

BoomerangCanuck

Moving from San Francisco to Toronto

Post by BoomerangCanuck »

I am moving from San Francisco to Toronto in July 2019 for family reasons. As part of the move my company will allow me to stay on as an employee and will process my transfer to our Canadian office. I understand this move means for the second half of the year I will have to pay Canadian taxes on my income. However I want to understand how this move will affect my income earned in the first half of this year. My move date in July is not decided to I am trying to pick a date that will be best for me financially.

1. Am I correct in understanding that if I move July 2 2019 or later then I will spend less than 183 days in Canada and thus will only be taxed in Canada on US income from my move date in July 2019 to Dec 31 2019?

2. Will my stock income from the first half of the year be handled any differently than income from the first half of the year in Canada (it is RSUs so it is effectively handled as income in the US)?

3. I am due to earn some stock (RSUs) on July 17 2019. If I move to Canada on July 18 2019, does that mean the stock I earn on July 17 2019 will only be taxed in the US?