DB RPP reporting

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Rcrmn

DB RPP reporting

Post by Rcrmn »

Hi,
I was wondering how do you report a Defined Benefit RPP(with no employee contribution, just employer.) now that i have moved to the US? The employer is a fortune 500 company. This Pension was "frozen" in 2009. I moved to the US in 2017, and there was no available value of the pension from the company, other than "in 2031, it could distribute roughly $1400 per month". I have over $100k in other foreign funds, so I have already reported everything else on the 8938, but I did not report this one. Do i need to report it and how do i report/calculate the value?

Thanks
Marc
Rcrmn

Re: DB RPP reporting

Post by Rcrmn »

Perhaps I can simplify by just asking how do I report a Defined Benefit RPP on my US tax return?
Thanks!
Rcrmn

Post by Rcrmn »

Just to clarify more, I am not receiving any distributions from the pension yet for several years.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I am sure you read the following in the form instructions:

Value of an interest in a foreign estate,
foreign pension plan, and foreign
deferred compensation plan. If
you do not know or have reason to know
based on readily accessible information
the fair market value of your interest in a
foreign estate, foreign pension plan, or
foreign deferred compensation plan
during the tax year, the value to be
included in determining the total value of
your specified foreign financial assets
during the tax year is the fair market
value, determined as of the last day of
the tax year, of the currency and other
property distributed during the tax year
to you. If you received no distributions
during the tax year and do not know or
have reason to know based on readily
accessible information the fair market
value of your interest, use a value of
zero for the interest.

And since you read this, I'm also sure that you can determine what to put on the form.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Rcrmn

Post by Rcrmn »

Thank you for your reply. Just to explain that I did not do this tax return, it was done by a large multi-national accounting firm paid by my former employer. However, I wanted to verify to ensure that it was correctly entered.

I did not mean declaration of interest, as I am quite sure that it is zero in a Defined Benefit RPP. I meant the declaration of plan's value in the 8938 and the declaration in the FinCEN form 114. For the 2017 year, I could not get a value of the plan from the company, and it was entered as $0-$50,000. For 2018 I did receive a payout offer, having left the company, and the value is over $200,000.

Should I leave 2017 as $0-$50,000 or refile?

For 2018, should I put the value of the defined benefit plan?

Thanks.