how to properly report w-2 income on ufile

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

skyahead

how to properly report w-2 income on ufile

Post by skyahead »

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum and so forgive me if my questions are naive.

I am a Canadian citizen worked in the US in 2018.

I am filling taxes on ufile, but got quite confused.

I created a 'Foreign income page' filling my the information. It asks to enter all income in the US including 401k contributions. But 401k in the US is not taxable. Does it mean I have to pay taxes on 401k contributions (box 12b)?

Also, my employer also deduct pre-tax money (box 12c) and put into my HSA account. HSD is not taxable in the US either. What should I do with HSA?

And, my employer covered my health insurance too (box 12d). What should be done with this?

Thanks
nelsona

Re: how to properly report w-2 income on ufile

Post by nelsona »

All you need to add to your wage number is the 401(k) contribution. CRA form RC268 needs to be filled to allow you to take the deduction for those contributions on your return. The HSA, and other deductions is a non-event.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
skyahead

Re: how to properly report w-2 income on ufile

Post by skyahead »

Thanks very much!