Allowable Deductions - Teachers

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

PlatinumNeon

Allowable Deductions - Teachers

Post by PlatinumNeon »

There is a provision to deduct teacher expenses, both in Canada ($1,000CAD) and the States ($250USD).

As a teacher working in the US (residing in Canada), I am told (by CRA) that I can't claim those teacher out-of-pocket expenses as a CDN teacher could (or as I claimed them on my US return) -- is it true?

Also, apparently these deductions are not allowable in Canada:

- deductions for the scholarship fund contributions?
- LTD Disability (my deduction, not employer's)
- Workers' Compensation deduction

Thank you!
nelsona

Re: Allowable Deductions - Teachers

Post by nelsona »

Sounds about right. No treaty provisions to apply, so CRA rules (which you can read for yourself in the tax guide) apply.

unless your scholarship fund is a DONATION to a charity, and not some Education savings plan, it is not deductible. in fact, the internal income of your account may be taxable in Canada, too.

Did your spouse not warn you how things were in Canada?
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

btw, you'll find that contacting CRA telephlunkies, much like contacting IRS, is fraught with poor, inconsistent, and wrong information. the guides, and better yet, the tax software you use is much more helpful.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

... and this forum of course.
PlatinumNeon

Post by PlatinumNeon »

Ha! Love and appreciate the answers!

There's NO foretelling how BAD it gets until one has to go through it...the "hand" just keeps extending longer and longer!

Who knew the "nice, polite" Canadians could be so shameless when it comes to extorting (ehm, extracting) money from you?!
PlatinumNeon

Post by PlatinumNeon »

...at the same time though -- the income which I earn as a teacher requires that I spend some money on teacher aids, props, etc..

Why shouldn't I be able to claim is as an employment expense?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

At least after it bites you, the Gov't will treat your wounds at no extra charge.

I guess you could try to have your employer fill out and sign a T2200 form. Most employees in US and Canada can't deduct expenses.

and really, the only reason YOU have to pay those is because school boards, funded by miserly US citizens, instead of the Govt, won't give them the funds. I hope you are looking for a good teaching job in Canada. No Cdn teacher would ever voluntarily go teach in primary/secondary schools in US, unless they were being held at gunpoint -- wait, that's a possibility, isn't it.
PlatinumNeon

Post by PlatinumNeon »

I don't think I can do much about moving to the CDN side - the pension and defined benefit are vested / require a certain minimum of service so if I left now, I'd lose it (unless there's a way CDNs accept those transfers?). The only reason I moved to CAN was to be able to be in the same house, like a normal family instead of constantly moving between the houses on both sides, no other reason. Yet, that still leaves me commuting every day...(while the CDN government is licking its chops from my hard-earned cash...which they find to make it even bigger for reporting purposes than the US does ) - I have all my benefits in the States really. The difference between what the US gov considers my wages and what the CDN does, is about 20%!!!
okinawafl

Post by okinawafl »

A side question related to donation, may I know for regular donation (American Humane, Food and Water watch..etc). Do I have to use it in the same year I donated?
In canada, it can carry forward up to 5 years to use it as non-refundable credit. Would U.S. all carry forward the donation and use it in later years too?

thanks for sharing the info.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

To answer your question, NO, you cannot carry forward donations on your us tax return to a future year.

Please post question that are not on topic in your own thread.