First time TN'er-Please help

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

wgale416

First time TN'er-Please help

Post by wgale416 »

Hello and let me start off by thanking you for this amazing forum of information.

I Left Ontario,Canada in June 05 to work in the USA(NJ) on a TN visa.

Between January and June 05 I was employed apox. 2months in Cananda so there for- have very little income to declare in Canada

I have no proporty/investments/rrsp's in Canada and I am single.

Question- Do I need to file a Canadian Tax return with the above in mind? In an effort to save money-Can I get away with just filing a USA return? Would filing in Canada increase my chances of getting a refund?

Thank you so much!
Carson

Re: First time TN'er-Please help

Post by Carson »

wgale416 wrote:Hello and let me start off by thanking you for this amazing forum of information.

I Left Ontario,Canada in June 05 to work in the USA(NJ) on a TN visa.

Between January and June 05 I was employed apox. 2months in Cananda so there for- have very little income to declare in Canada

I have no proporty/investments/rrsp's in Canada and I am single.

Question- Do I need to file a Canadian Tax return with the above in mind? In an effort to save money-Can I get away with just filing a USA return? Would filing in Canada increase my chances of getting a refund?

Thank you so much!
Yes, you have to file in Canada to report your T4 income and withholdings. I have no idea if you would get a refund; depends on how much was withheld. Also, if you have gone non-resident, you have to put a departure date on your T1 return. Read the Emigrant's guide on the CRA website.