Tax Return for the first year

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mirela

Tax Return for the first year

Post by mirela »

Hello everybody,

I read many threads from this forum, and I found a lot of very useful information. I'd like to confirm that the way I intend to file my taxes is correct.

My situation is as follows:

A. in Canada
- worked in Canada until Feb 2005, and earned income
- contributed to RRSP the whole year 2005 (I don't know if it was a good idea)
- received several T5s for the interest on several GICs I have with few banks
- I don't have any spouse / dependant / property in Canada - so, no ties

B. in US
- moved in March 2005 (on TN)
- earned income, but did not contributed to any IRA, 401k etc

Therefore, I have to:

1 - use the regular Ontario (the province where I lived) and federal tax package - regular T1
2 - put a departure date of Feb 2005 on the return (i.e. I become a non-resident in Canada from that date)
3 - declare only the income earned in Canada
4 - declare all the GIC interest and RRSP contributions in the corresponding categories. Here I have a problem I guess, I didn’t notified the banks that I'm a tax non-resident only until recently, so they didn't withheld any tax. Is this something that prevents me to be recognized by CRA as non-resident after Feb 2005?
5 – I meet the substantial presence test in US, thus I am resident of US from March 2005. So I file a full year 1040, and declare my whole US and Canadian income from 2005. I guess this is the best option since my Canadian income for 2005 was very low.
6- I don’t know if I can use Form 2555 to exclude my Canadian income from U.S taxation
7 - I have to report all RRSP accounts using Form 8991 (do I have to do this in the first year, though?). I've learned that I can elect to defer US taxation on gains in the RRSP. I have no plan to either withdraw from the RRSPs, or contribute any longer to them before I eventually move back to Canada.

Does that cover everything?

Last question:
Do I have to file on paper in both countries, or can I use a tax software and then e-file? From this forum I learned that in US I have to file on paper in the first year, but I'm not sure about Canada.

Thanks a lot,
guy

Post by guy »

I am in a similar situation.

I plan to file a dual-status return in US.

what forms are required? Do I need to do the substantial presence test, do I need to prove stronger ties to Canada for the period where I was a NR? Which forms are required?