Attribution rule when sending cash from from USA bank account to Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Gilgamesh

Attribution rule when sending cash from from USA bank account to Canada

Post by Gilgamesh »

As the title say, when we move cash from USA to Canada from bank to bank, how does attribution rule work?

Say this was a savings account funded over the years as a dual citizen in US over decades, and then when we become Canadian residents how does CRA know what’s attributed to whom?

How about even tIRA withdrawn into a us bank account as a US resident and then moved to Canada when residency changed, should one keep track of every dollar?

Or it doesn’t matter what happened prior to residency change? So when cash is moved, it can be attributed in any way?

I am asking as I am wondering how income splitting on interest earned in the Canadian bank for these transferred funds would work?

P.S: Of course, any tIRA withdrawal after Canadian residency will be reported in T1 for that year.

Thanks!
Gilgamesh

Re: Attribution rule when sending cash from from USA bank account to Canada

Post by Gilgamesh »

Anyone?

Say when I become a Canadian resident (Dual citizen) and move about $200k from USA bank/brokerage to a Canadian bank or brokerage account, could I just say all of that belongs to the lower social security recipient, so I pay taxes on interest/earnings under the lower social security recipients marginal tax rate ?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

How about YOU finding the answer and letting US know. You've asked a hell of a lot of questions in 2 weeks. Call CRA.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

I’m trying to find as many answers as possible before calling them. Thanks for answering the many questions.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Ask ONCE. No bumping.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Now I know, thanks!