20 year OAS requirement for out-of-Canada benefit - does USA residency count towards that?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Gilgamesh

20 year OAS requirement for out-of-Canada benefit - does USA residency count towards that?

Post by Gilgamesh »

Dual citizen.

I know even if I lived in Canada after age 18 for 8 years only, I could get 8/40th of OAS as a Canadian resident by using credits for having lived in USA (assuming there is no clawback).

Also, I know for OAC payments to be made for more than 6 months one is away from Canada, they need 20 years of having lived in Canada. My question is, if I only lived in Canada for 8 years, but in USA for over 30, can I use the years in USA to qualify for OAS (8/40th) as a USA resident?

I also understand, USA residents who qualify for OAS have no clawback (no income limitation).

Thanks
nelsona

Re: 20 year OAS requirement for out-of-Canada benefit - does USA residency count towards that?

Post by nelsona »

Please read the forum, there has been a post on that topic THIS WEEK.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Gilgamesh

Re: 20 year OAS requirement for out-of-Canada benefit - does USA residency count towards that?

Post by Gilgamesh »

Dang! It was a thread I started and you had said this...as I wasn’t thinking about the 20 year rule, I didn’t take it in.

‘As to the eligibility for OAS, there are 2 minimums that one should be interested, the 10 year initial eligibility which allows you to collect reduced OAS while in canada, but also the 20 year eligibility which allows the reduced amount to be paid worldwide.
Both of these are satisfied by adding years in Canada and SS-contribution years in US. The SS years do not change the amount you would get, as you said.’

Thanks again!