Carry forward spouse's educational tax credit

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:40 pm

Carry forward spouse's educational tax credit

Post by aha1988 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:49 pm

We are in Canada, BC.
My wife did not have enough income to use her education tax credit.
I have enough income to use her tax credit, but I'm also carrying forward some tax credit from last year which already brings my income tax to zero.

I will have more income in future than my spouse.
I want to transfer her tax credit for this year (2018) to myself and use it to zero my tax (and not use my own credit carried forward from previous year).
Or in other words you can say: I want to transfer my spouse's tax credit to myself and carry it forward to next year.

The platform I use for filling tax is UFile. It does not support this feature.
I'm not sure whether what I wanna do is not allowed, or the platform does not support it.

What do you think?

Post Reply