Old age security with Roth income

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Re: Old age security with Roth income

Post by nelsona »

I did.
https://retirehappy.ca/voluntary-deferral-of-oas/
It outlines what are months that qualify for the deferral bonus and the no double dipping.

It even has an example of someone with 13 years of residency needing to choose between the deferral bump and the extra year.

the "three for one"examples are applicable anymore since the person in the example was born in 1950 and could benefit from the old rules.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

the "three for one"examples are NOT applicable anymore since the person in the example was born in 1950 and could benefit from the old rules.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

I was wondering about another scenario when it comes to OAS & GIS

It looks like Canadaian tax return and OAS/GIS eligibility is based on each spouse individual ...there is no join return or joint income consideration for OAS and GIS eligibility.

So, what prevents a couple to say husband withdraws retirement income for a year from retirement accounts and wife doesn’t withdraw any funds and thus qualify for both OAS & GIS and next year wife withdraws from her retirement account and husband doesn’t and on that year husband gets OAS and GIS

I don’t see how an individual system work ... what prevents the above?

Thanks!
Gilgamesh

Post by Gilgamesh »

Please ignore my previous question...I see it’s combined income for GIS.