Canadian company pension distribution

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nikky87

Canadian company pension distribution

Post by nikky87 »

Hello,

My husband who is a Canadian Citizen but now a US resident as of 2016 took a lump sum distribution from his former employer's (Bell Canada) pension plan. I know the distribution was already taxed 25% in Canada and that we can claim the Foreign Tax Credit on the US taxes.

My question now is when we report the full distribution in our taxes this year, is the full amount subject to US taxes? I understand that for the RRSP account the taxable portion is only the difference between the time he moved here and the time the account was closed. Is a company pension plan similar or should I report the same full distribution amount in both 4a and 4b on Form 1040?

Thank you
nelsona

Re: Canadian company pension distribution

Post by nelsona »

Yes, pension income (and LIRA income) is fully taxable in US (and state). Hopefully a lot of his 25% tax will be used up as credit, but not typically.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nikky87

Re: Canadian company pension distribution

Post by nikky87 »

Thank you, appreciate the quick response!