Income taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

blondie_81

Income taxes

Post by blondie_81 »

Hi there,
I never used this tax forum but I use immigration one quite a lot and I find this forums very helpful. I have kind of silly question but I thought I will good to get your opinion on it if I may. I'm sponsoring my husband from Canada so he's been living with me here over a year now. Somebody told me that I can write off living expenses for him since he is not working while we are in the middle of getting his permanet status. So my question to you is can I do that even though he doesn't have SIN or no? If no can I do it next year when he has SIN? If you could answer my question for me that would be really greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.
Renata Antalova
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You don't write of f 'living expenses'. you claim him as a dependent. he probably doesn't need an SIN.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
blondie_81

Post by blondie_81 »

Thanks Nelsona but I have one more question for you if you don't mind. So do I need to do something different than that I used to before as a single person or do I just let my accountant know that I won't to claim him as my dependent?
Thanks for your promt reply.
Renata Antalova
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You need to let your acct know rthat you are MARRIED. he will 'presumably' figure it our from there.

You are no longer SINGLE.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D