RRSP withdrawal - US PR

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Elvis Lafleur

RRSP withdrawal - US PR

Post by Elvis Lafleur »

I did a partial withdrawal of 9,450 CAD from RRSP in Nov 2018 (One-time thing; I'm not retired). I received an NR4 showing the 9,450 CAD in gross income (box 16) and 2,362.50 CAD non-resident tax w/h (box 17). My net was 7,087.50 CAD, and this was exchanged by my US bank as a deposit of 5,042.52 USD, effectively a rate of 0.711467.

For US return (I'm using TurboTax), I assume I'd apply the exchange rate above to derive the USD amounts I need. Is the:
--"total distribution" the gross amount? (i.e. 9450 x 0.711467 = 6,723.36 USD)
--"taxable part of distribution" the net amount? (i.e. 7087.5 x 0.711467 = 5,042.52 USD)
--foreign tax credit (or foreign tax deduction) the amount withheld? (i.e. 2362.5 x 0.711467 = 1,680.84 USD)

thanks very much!
nelsona

Re: RRSP withdrawal - US PR

Post by nelsona »

The US taxable portion has nothing to do with how much tax was withheld. Your taxable portion is a calculation that you would have made when you entered US based on the book values of the RRSP at that time in USD.

Please search for the 100 or so times this has been covered here. If you are not able to detetermine this, then the withdrawl is 100% taxable, meeanimng that both the gross and taxable portion are identical: 6700 by your calculation.
For foreign exchange, you really should be using published rates on the date you withdrew, not the rate you got at the bank.

In future, do any exchanges to US in Canada, at the bank you keep in Canada, and then bring that US money into US, you will not get robbed like you were by the US bank.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Elvis Lafleur

Post by Elvis Lafleur »

Merci beaucoup
Elvis Lafleur

Post by Elvis Lafleur »

...shot that off too soon - did mean to ask: Is the foreign tax credit for my 1040 the USD equivalent of the 25% that was withheld?

thanks again
Elvis Lafleur

Post by Elvis Lafleur »

...shot that off too soon as well; reviewed a similar question & response. Thank you
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You can use the entire foreign tax paid on your 1116 towards the credit, It will not all be used and can be carried forward.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
Elvis Lafleur

Post by Elvis Lafleur »

Thank you Nelsona