I'm so mad right now I could scream

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

KevKiki

I'm so mad right now I could scream

Post by KevKiki »

Well I thought I had my taxes done...but then noticed I had used the T1 Special from Revenue Canada for Federal Tax Schedule 1. Of course according to the Rev Can. website I should have used just a T1.....

I thought I was getting a refund..but lo and behold!! Right under line 429 is a SURTAX for non residents at 48%???

Is this a joke? Any way around this? Well that just about killed me...

Any ideas?

Thanks

Kev
KevKiki

Post by KevKiki »

I am a non resident btw having moved to US in Oct 2005 but I see this surtax is for both non AND deemed residents..I may end up in the cardio ward after reading this...
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Are you a non-resident for the ENTIRE year of 2005?

If so, then the non-resident surtax aplies to you, but then why would you be filing taxes in canada

If you were resident at the beginning of the year, then you should have been using the tax return for you last province of residence, then you pay provincial tax on your pre-darture income, and not the non-res surtax.

I think you have messed up in any event. you were to have read the Emigrants guide befoire filing... I guess you didn't.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
KevKiki

Post by KevKiki »

No..I did read it but called the International office about a Sec 217 question....blah blah...and they ended up telling me that I had the wrong form for Schedule 1 and to use the one with the surtax on it..I zeroed in on the surtax immediately and THEY thought I had tp pay it even though I told them I left in October... :shock:

Anyway..thanks for the help as always and take care.

Best,

kev