Commuter, 1040NR, and US content in TFSA?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

spocket

Commuter, 1040NR, and US content in TFSA?

Post by spocket »

Hello
First, thanks to all the knowledgeable people sharing knowledge here, I have not been posting much but reading from time to time and learned things that helped me.

I am a Canadian citizen and resident, daily commuting to work in US for a US company.
As such, I am filing a 1040NR form (I am married and do take advantage of the XXV treaty article w the pro-forma and all, thanks to this forum) in which I ONLY report US sourced income (only wages). In Canada I file reporting 'world income'.

My understanding, also confirmed by reading this forum, is that as a result I am OK with taking TFSA's in Canada without being taxed in USA since I only report wages there.Correct me if I am wrong (I understand that the growth would need to be part of the pro-forma to be accurate)

My question, is: For this to be true, does one needs to be sure the TFSA has no US content (stocks or else)? If there is US content, would the growth of it be considered "US Sourced Income" that would need to be declared on the 1040NR?

Thanks in advance, if somebody can clarify this. I searched the forum but could not find an answer.
nelsona

Re: Commuter, 1040NR, and US content in TFSA?

Post by nelsona »

This is not a problem.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D