Are capital loss deductions included on Form 1116 for Deductions and losses?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

nelsona

Re: Are capital loss deductions included on Form 1116 for Deductions and losses?

Post by nelsona »

No. First off, they are passive income, not general, so don't belong on your general limitation 1116.
Second, what tax would you have paid on those losses.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
speer1234

Re: Are capital loss deductions included on Form 1116 for Deductions and losses?

Post by speer1234 »

I paid no tax on the capital loss (bitcoin sale), in fact for Canadian tax purposes im treating the capital loss as inventory (COG) as advised by a Canadian CPA. I accepted bitcoin (barter) for payment as a business. I made a loss from trading it.

The reason I asked is because Im getting a total FTC greater than my US taxed owed (and im not referring to excess which are for carryovers) and trying to troubleshoot. Ill go through all my numbers again tomorrow.

If you are interested here are my other forms: https://imgur.com/a/Of81m3N