2018 Child Tax Credit - SSN Requirement

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ers1254

2018 Child Tax Credit - SSN Requirement

Post by ers1254 »

I'm a Canadian Citizen working in the US on an H1-B visa. I am a US Resident for tax purposes, and normally file a 1040, married filing jointly. With the 2018 tax changes, it seems that now my children need SSNs in order to qualify for the child tax credit, so I'm not receiving any tax benefit for my dependents.

Is there something I am missing here? Is there a way to utilize the Canada/US Tax treaty to still receive deductions for my kids? ie ARTICLE XXV
Non-Discrimination?

I tried to find some discussion of this in the forums but couldn't seem to find it. Thanks!
nelsona

Re: 2018 Child Tax Credit - SSN Requirement

Post by nelsona »

The treaty does not apply here, since it is not based on your citizenship or residence. You can still apply for the Additional Child tax credit, which is for those who were not eligible for the "normal" credit.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
papillary

Post by papillary »

wait don't you still need SSN to claim the Additional CTC, just as you would to claim the CTC?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Maybe. Realize that CTC eligibility, etc has been changed almost every year since inception.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
adeboloj

Post by adeboloj »

@ers1254 ,
You will not be able to claim Line 49- Child tax credit as your kiddos need to be a U.S. Citizen or resident (if they live with you in the U.S then you are ok with this clause) but in order for you to claim child tax credit, you must be a U.S Citizen or a resident of Canada (and it doesn't appear you are either of these two).
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

US resident is equal to Cdn resident or US citizen in his case, so he is not disqualified from filing for CTC. His kids are ineligible, however, because they don't have SSNs.
AS I said, each year the modalities are changed (tightened, loosened) so it is on a year by year basis.