To claim US per diem on Cdn taxes?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

dolaris

To claim US per diem on Cdn taxes?

Post by dolaris »

The short, tl;dr version: I was paid a normal wage and "per diem" by a US company in California to work a temporary job away from my home in Alberta. I believe this qualifies as a "special work site." I don't seem to need to report this per diem to the IRS, but I am concerned I need to report it to the CRA since my company has not and will not fill out a Form TD4. Do I need this form, if the company is not Canadian and the allowance meets the criteria for "board and lodging at a special site?"

More detail:
I am a US citizen. I moved to Canada in August 2014 and made frequent, sometimes long trips to the US but always maintained my residence with my common-law partner in Canada. I have claimed Canadian residency all this time, "landed" as a PR in 2017. In October 2018, I took a temporary job with a US company in California. There was a normal wage and also "per diem," which the company did not include on our W2s. They say it is nontaxable, and I've read enough that I feel I understand their argument about that and will not claim the per diem on my US taxes.

I have read the relevant portions of CRA's T4130. The per diem pay meets all the criteria to be considered an allowance for board and lodging at a special site. However, I am concerned for it to be nontaxable, my employer would need to fill out Form TD4, Declaration of Exemption – Employment at a Special Work Site. Since they're not a Canadian company, do they need to? Do I need to report this travel allowance to the CRA if I don't, as far as I can tell, need to report it to the IRS?

They laid me off, along with probably 80% of my coworkers, by the end of January. Since they're no longer my employer, they have even less interest in being helpful.

Thanks for any advice, I've been going around in circles for weeks!