Canadian moving to US with TN visa. What can I do with the cash from my liquidated TFSA account ($60k+)?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

breckak

Canadian moving to US with TN visa. What can I do with the cash from my liquidated TFSA account ($60k+)?

Post by breckak »

Hello everyone, before I moved down to the US recently, I liquidated my TFSA account ($60k CAD+) as I read that there could be headaches involved while filing the tax here in the US. Now that I have a large sum of money sitting in cash, I'm wondering what I can (and should) do with this money without tax troubles.

I tried to look online but the only article I read about investing as a non-resident Canadian (I only have my driver's license and bank account in Canada so I believe I became a non-resident) was this one by WealthSimple (https://www.wealthsimple.com/en-us/maga ... ica-invest) which states that "if you want to invest [...] you can absolutely do that. But you can't use your Canadian investment accounts to do it."

What are some of the limitations to what I can do with my money in Canada? I do not want to move it across border as I do plan on possibly moving back in 5+ years and because the exchange rate is terrible at the moment. I would just like to invest this money from Canada in CAD with a non-registered account, which I thought would mean I would just have to file FBAR and report foreign income when I file tax for the IRS.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!