Not a tax question..sorry

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

coco1106

Not a tax question..sorry

Post by coco1106 »

Hi ,
I hope this will not get anyone angry with me, its not a tax question, but since most folks are USA/CND I just throught someone may be able to help me a bit.

Its a health insurance question.........I am sorry to ask this, but I just dont really know what to do.

when husband leaves his job we will have maybe 6-8 weeks until we relocate to Canada, so we will not have health insurance through his job.
This makes me very,very nervous, we dont have any health conditions, but I am just worried if one of us breaks a bone, accidents etc.

he said if his last day of his job is on 3rd or 4th day of the month then coverage continues to the end of the month, ??? not sure on this ??

I know cobra is available but is really expensive, of course we would use if that is all we had to.
Does anyone know who I should call about health care for several weeks, I have never had to deal with health care in my life since it has always been available via work, also we are from Canada originally so we did not have to worry about it there.

This is causing me so much stress.. I just want to have something in place or at least have a plan...we are both 55 yrs old, non smokers.
I am sorry about the nature of this question, I know its not tax related.
nelsona

Re: Not a tax question..sorry

Post by nelsona »

He needs to check with HR on when his employee coverage ends, and ask about COBRA.
Your state still has a healthcare marketplace. I guess he isn't of retirement age?
I'm with you that I would not be in the US without some coverage.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
coco1106

Post by coco1106 »

Nelsona,
We will both be 55 when he leaves his job,

he was telling me his friend at work left his job on the 4th of the month and his coverage was ok until the end of the month, I hope this will be the same when my husband leaves his job...he was not sure if it was a company policy, or if HR just decided to allow his friends insurance to continue until the end of the month, he was saying if your last day at work is in first week of the month, then the company will not bother to cancel your insurance since it has already been put through the computer system and its too much bother to cancel ??

I think he is a bit hesitant of asking HR any questions ,since they will know he is planning on leaving, he wants to keep that information private for a while.

If we have to sign up for cobra for a few weeks then we will just just that, I am worrying myself sick over this, not really knowing much about health care !
I believe if we do sign up for cobra then we can use funds from our HSA to pay for it.

Thank you for your input Nelsona
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

So, technically he is retiring. This gives him certain rights over quitting. Also, HR has certain confidentiality obligations that they must adhere to, and he should not feel that there will be any repercussions for simply discussing his retiree benefits.
He company should also have benefit manuals that cover all these, and insurance companies don't just give benefits unless they are specified in the Plan description, including when these terminate or not.

There is no point "worrying yourself sick". Pay for extending coverage, or get coverage. It is an everyday issue.

And husband needs to take care of your worries.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
coco1106

Post by coco1106 »

Nelsona, thank you

I told him HR will keep any conversations confidential,he said HR works for the company and they might make things difficult for him, he works for very large company , 25 yrs and has a senior position.

he said he will contact them closer to the time of him leaving his job just to ask them a few things.

As you can probably tell from my posts I over think every single aspect of daily life, I wish I did not, my husband has told me not to worry and let him do the worrying, but then I feel bad and guilty since I worry about him...yep crazy !!

He said we will sit down together and try to sort it out.
I just want to thank you for making me feel better,I know people deal with this stuff every day, but its totally new to me.
Being able to ask question, regardless of how silly them may seem is beyond helpful and reassuring.
Thank you xx
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

The bigger the company, the less he has to fear. Personalities don't get involved. He is -- really -- just a number.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You also need to consider when provincial coverage kicks in. Some provs have a waiting period.
coco1106

Post by coco1106 »

nelsona,

I checked OHIP in ontario we have to wait for up to 3 months after we apply, when I called service Canada they told me that since we already have the old type red and white plastic OHIP card that we had when we lived in Canada it may take less than 3 months since we already have a OHIP number, but we still have to get a new card with a picture...they said maybe 8 weeks for a new card but advised me to get insurance for 3 months just in case.

I contacted CAA in ontario they told me we can buy a 3 month vistors to canada health insurance while we are waiting for OHIP, the cost is about $800 cdn for both of us, I have to buy that 2 weeks before our big move to Ontario.

btw...husband called HR yesterday ( after I told him of my concern and anxiety)
they said insurance expires 30 days after you leave the company if you leave at the start of the month , also if we need insurance for more than 30 days she said that since we are on a HSA plan our cost for cobra would only be $270 ???

I was not too sure about that cost I thought cobra was really expensive, Husband said he will call again in a few months just to verify that information.
we pay $150 per pay period for HSA, the company contributes I think $1500 at the beginning of the year.

Thank you again for your input.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just to be clear, your medical plan is a high-deductible plan. The HSA is merely an add-on account which helps you to pay for the high-deductible. The HSA is yours until the money in it runs out. Your and the company funding of that is separate from the medical premium costs.

High-deductible plans are usually pretty cheap, but $250 for both of you doesn't sound right.

I wouldn't rely on Service CANADA to tell you anything about PROVINCIAL services, but the 2-3 months sounds right. there are 6-7 provinces that cover immediately, which is supposed to be the law (the Canada Health Act stipulates it), but ON, QC, BC and one other opt out of that. the 2-3 month waiting period is supposed to be only when one moves from one province to another, and the old province covers you for that period. So those provinces just extended it to EVERYONE coming to the province, whether or not the have other province coverage.
coco1106

Post by coco1106 »

Nelsona,

I thought the cobra amount the lady quoted sounded very odd...husband did not feel that this was correct , he will verify that amount later on, but the 30 day insurance after he leaves is a good thing.

I sometime feel that we get different answers depending on whom we happen to get on the phone,thankfully I dont take one answer as the correct one if it sounds odd to me....the cobra thing certainly sounded off !!

Husband did tell me she said cobra would be $1300....then she said since we are HSA it would be $270 !!! I am thinking the $1300 is the correct amount for cobra and NOT $270.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Big orgs have something called a summary plan description (SPD) which describes in detail each plan that you have. Ask your husband to get these for you -- it will help you when you can't sleep -- and will have this info in writing.
Yes, some numbers you need to rely on a voice, but you can always double check these. When he puts in his papers, he will then get written detailed explanation of all these options.
coco1106

Post by coco1106 »

nelsona,

Thank you I will ask him about SPD, I am sure his company will have one.