Canadian moved to US without Family

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

mmadany

Canadian moved to US without Family

Post by mmadany »

Hi,

I have researched the forum and learned much but I think my case is a bit unique.

- I moved to the US in February and I created a C-corp in USA. I am getting paid in the US on that C-corp. I do not get paid personally.
- Belongings in Canada: House and rental unit, vehicle, RRSP, TFSA.
- Spouse and kids will remain in Canada

Q. Would I be considered a resident of US or Canada?

Q. Any income that I pay myself would have to be reported in US only or US and Canada?

Q. When I file my personal US taxes, would I be considered single or married but filing separately?

Q. Does my spouse need to come to the US and get herself a TIN?

Thanks a lot for your help.
nelsona

Re: Canadian moved to US without Family

Post by nelsona »

1. if you stay in US and don't visit, you can be considered US resident, otherwise no.
2. Depends on 1.
3. You will never be considered single in US, because you are married.
4. She does not need to come to US to get ITIN, but if she stays in Canada, she won't need ITIN, since she won't be included on your 1040NR.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
mmadany

Post by mmadany »

Ok that is starting to make more sense. Now to expand on your answers:

- I visit frequently but I would be spending much more time in the US (roughly 75% in US and 25% in Canada). So I guess I am still deemed a resident of Canada in that case?

- With that in mind, any income that I pay myself from the US corp would have to be reported in US only or US and Canada?

Thanks a lot for your responses and help. Really appreciate it.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You are still a resident of Canada. Not deemed, but true resident.
Your US income will be reported in both countries.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D