W-8 form

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

coco1106

W-8 form

Post by coco1106 »

Can anyone tell me about a W-8 form ??

When we move to Canada will we have to sign this form, who provides it ( bank ??)

thanks for any input
nelsona

Re: W-8 form

Post by nelsona »

It's an IRS form. It tells the bank/broker that you are a Cdn and not an American. If they need it they will supply you with it, or ask you for it.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
coco1106

Post by coco1106 »

ok thank you,
since we are dual citizens I am wondering if they will require us file that form. usa and canadian citizenship.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

No, in that caseyou wil provide a W-9, informing them that you are a US taxpayer. You may be asked for this by both US and Cdn firms.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
coco1106

Post by coco1106 »

thank you.
lbeauvil

Post by lbeauvil »

My understanding is that W-9 form is used to tell your financial institution to not withhold tax from 401k/IRA distribution as a US citizen living abroad.

https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-w-9