Canadian working in US (TN Visa) - Did not sell my non-registered canadian investments

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

a_bushati

Canadian working in US (TN Visa) - Did not sell my non-registered canadian investments

Post by a_bushati »

Any help appreciated!

I left canada in may 2018, but i did not sell my non-registered investments when i left Canada. Neither have i sold my TFSA. At the time i cancelled my rent and i do not have any dependents nor wife. Basically i have no major residential ties to Canada.
This is a very broad question: How do i deal with any taxes that i would owe IRS (and or CRA) for any capital gains? At the time i left canada (if i had sold and closed my investments) i would be at around 10k CAD of capital gains. Whereas when i sell in the next few days I stand to be at 5k CAD capital loss.

Thank you,
nelsona

Re: Canadian working in US (TN Visa) - Did not sell my non-registered canadian investments

Post by nelsona »

For Canada, you of course owe departure tax, on all your investments held outside your TFSA, valued the day you held them. That is part of your final tax obligation.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
a_bushati

Re: Canadian working in US (TN Visa) - Did not sell my non-registered canadian investments

Post by a_bushati »

Thanks Nelsona!

What about for USA, the fact that i did not sell my non-registered investments and TFSA, would i owe anything for 2018, or even for 2019 (when the tax season come next year), considering that i am going to sell my canadian investments this year?

By the way are there any instructions on this forum about how to do taxes for my scenario:
1. Worked in Canada until early may 2018.
2. Moved to the States and have been working since May 2018.

I am looking for high level instructions (e.g. forms to fill for Canadian vs forms for States taxes). I am new to this site, and i am starting to explore, but if you have a thread in this forum you can point me at would be appreaciated!

Thanks
a_bushati

Post by a_bushati »

Is the form 3520 and 3520-a required to be filled to declare my TFSA amount which i still hold with BMO?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

You will not owe anything in US until you sell investments, or have dividends,
Worry about your Cdn departure tax return first.

A lot has been written on TFSA/trust reporting, I'll let you browse those topics.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D