US/Canadian Dual Citizen Taxes

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:37 pm

US/Canadian Dual Citizen Taxes

Post by ko5555 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm a dual citizen working mostly in the US, but spent 4 months in Canada working as a contract worker over the summer. I did not have taxes taken out of my paychecks. I worked in the US the rest of the time for the same company and did have US taxes taken out. How should I file my Canadian and US taxes? And what forms do I need for my Canadian Taxes?

Posts: 16416
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Re: US/Canadian Dual Citizen Taxes

Post by nelsona » Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:41 am

If you were a contractor, then you should not owe any tax in Canada. You may simply have to file a return reporting your gross earnings and then deducting them on line 256. This would be on a non-resident return.

You will of course report the income in US as self-employed.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Post Reply