Software to fill Canada departure tax

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

CadCad

Software to fill Canada departure tax

Post by CadCad »

In 2018 I became a non resident of Canada and this year I'm filing my departure tax, previously I have used free StudioTax with no hiccups but I just found they don't support departure tax...

Could you recommend a software package that can properly handle departure tax intricacies? (T1161, T1243, tax credits prorate, etc.).

On the USA side, does any of the big players support importing a Canadian return to extract foreign tax credit, etc?

Thank you!
nelsona

Re: Software to fill Canada departure tax

Post by nelsona »

ufile online works fine
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

As for US side, you have to input the Cdn tax of course, and any Cdn income.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
CadCad

Post by CadCad »

Regarding ufile, I saw another post in this forum where someone in my same situation could not find some of the forms related to the departure tax return.

Is still the best option to manually add them after printing the supported forms from ufile?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I'm quite sure they are there. But, since you cannot efile departure returns anyways, if you want to print out the files and add manual ones (you can't always do that with software, I guess you can try.
CadCad

Post by CadCad »

In case someone else runs into this, I reached out to UFile support and this was their response:

"The forms T1161 "List of Properties by an Emigrant of Canada", T1243 "Deemed Disposition of Property by an Emigrant of Canada" and T1244 "Election to Defer the Payment of Tax on Income Relating to the Deemed Disposition of Property" are not supported by the program."
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Thanks for the heads up. They used to. use paper forms for these.
CadCad

Post by CadCad »

Yep, that's the plan :)
HeidiRoberts

Post by HeidiRoberts »

I don't get the point of departure tax, it doesn't really make all that much sense to me at all. I've heard that [url=https://andersenlab.com/blueprint/it-ou ... in-ukraine]Andersen[/url] to has been involved with respect to departure tax, but I'm not too sure about that though. What's your opinion on it all?
redrosepro

Post by redrosepro »

nelsona wrote:
> Thanks for the heads up. They used to. use paper forms for these.

Sorry, can you please elaborate on paper forms. For the same tax year, if I have to file departure tax info, Can we use a software for all the regular forms and then send ONLY these two paper forms by mail?

Or is it better to do the entire package by paper just to keep it all in one place?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

I believe you will need to send in ALL on paper. You could try going as far as you can, and see if at some point you become disqualified for Netfile.