Americans living in Canada..state income tax filing ??

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

coco1106

Americans living in Canada..state income tax filing ??

Post by coco1106 »

Hi,
Since we are dual citizens usa/canadians , when we move to Canada I know we will be filing federal taxs each year.as well as canadian.

The first yr we live in Canada we will file federal and state of ohio returns , and Canadian tax returns,
then the following yrs we file federal and Canadian returns.

.......my question is what about the OHIO tax returns, we live in ohio ,I am sure they will notice no return was filed after 25 years of filing returns to them.
Do we attach a letter to our previously filed ohio tax return, telling them we are permanently living in Canada, and we will not file any more returns??
we will have zero ties to ohio, no home, or income ( husband and I will be living of savings for a few yrs), also we plan on returning our ohio driving license ( as soon we get our ontario drivers lic) and we will return our ohio car plates .

I am not sure how to deal with the ohio state tax return when we permanently move to Canada.
If anybody has any information on this I would really appreciate it.
many thanks .
nelsona

Re: Americans living in Canada..state income tax filing ??

Post by nelsona »

On your last OH return, did you file as part-year of non-resident, and did you put your current Cdn address on the reurn. That wouldhave ben enough to let them know.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
coco1106

Post by coco1106 »

Thank you Nelsona,

We have not moved yet, I am just planning ahead..we would put our new address in Canada on the Fed and OH returns for the part yr we are in USA, then the following yr just file Fed tax returns, I just thought we had to formally inform OH tax dept that we have moved ( although they would figure it from the Canadian address from the previous yr) like you said.

Thank again.
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

It's not from the Cdn address( that doesn't necessarily indicate residence), it is from filing a PART-YEAR return, which all states have.

The Cdn address just makes sense, since you would have moved MONTHS before.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D