First year filing US and Canadian taxes after marriage

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:47 pm

First year filing US and Canadian taxes after marriage

Post by Anzh » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:33 pm

Hi everyone! I’m new here and hoping to find some answers. Thanks in advance. Here’s my situation:

I am a Canadian citizen. I entered the US on a K1 Visa in September 2019 and got married in November to my now husband who is a US citizen.
I worked in Canada before I came to the US and I haven’t worked since entry. I’ve consulted CRA and they said I’ve maintained significant residential ties with Canada, but since I cannot be a resident of both Canada and the US, they consider me a deemed non-resident of Canada as of the date I left in September 2019.
I have a house (on a mortgage) and a car in Canada which I have not sold, because my parents live there currently. I have some rental income in 2019, both before and after I left Canada, as I rent out part of the house. I also have Canadian bank accounts with more than $10k in them which calls for FBAR reporting I’m guessing.

1. For CRA, how does this “deemed non-resident status” affect how I would file my Canadian taxes for 2019? Which form(s) would I need to use?
2. For IRS, do I elect to be treated as a U.S resident for the entire tax year of 2019 and file as married filing jointly? Is that the best option? If so, do I report all sources of my income in 2019 in Canada to IRS?

Please add in any information you think I should be aware of in reporting my taxes because I’m really new at all this!
Thanks so much!

Posts: 16546
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Re: First year filing US and Canadian taxes after marriage

Post by nelsona » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:31 pm

Deemed non-resident is exactly like non-resident, so for the year of departure you file as an "emigrant", with departure tax etc. Make sure you return any benefirs (GST etc) received after you left.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Post Reply