Non resident tax implications after 2018 tax reform

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

migrant

Non resident tax implications after 2018 tax reform

Post by migrant »

Hi Nelsona

Some background - I am a non citizen or PR holder of either US or Canada. I moved to Canada from US, middle of last year. I have been filling 1040 due to SPT (2017 and before). Initially, for 2018 I was planning to file as dual status, but with personal exemption gone does it makes more sense to file as resident for the whole year (i.e. report my Cad income and claim foreign tax credit). Also, in that case do I now need to report my TFSA savings accounts using 3520 forms? Unfortunately, I also own some small amount of mutual fund in my non-registered retirement account. Can i avoid filing 8621 due to the de minimus exemption?

Thank you
nelsona

Re: Non resident tax implications after 2018 tax reform

Post by nelsona »

You are allowed to do this in the last year of residency.
If you do, you are subject to PFIC and 3520 rules. Might have wanted to wait until year-end before funding TFSA.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
migrant

Post by migrant »

Thanks again Nelsona. Yes, my mistake had the whole non-resident thing on my mind throughout the year. MF was granted through company match. Am I eligible to file proforma 1040 on 1040NR?
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

If you are married, yes.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
migrant

Post by migrant »

Yes, I am married. Just little confused - since I was part year US resident, am I allowed to use XXV clause?

thanks
nelsona

Post by nelsona »

Just to clarify, if you left in 2017, why would you care about filing 1040 in 2018. SPT doesn't apply when leaving.
migrant

Post by migrant »

Sorry I left middle of 2018 and would pass SPT.