Cndn citizen working in US on TN & Casual work in Canada

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Post Reply
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:09 pm

Cndn citizen working in US on TN & Casual work in Canada

Post by » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:53 pm

Jan - March worked full-time in Canada. TN starting sometime in May return most weekends for 3/4 days and work casual weekends in Canada, 2 week holiday in Canada, mortgage on unrented home. RRSP, Student loans, credit cards, bank accounts in Canada only and provincial healthcare and driver's license in ON: single individual with family ties in Canada. Joint accounts in Canada for estate planning purposes for other individual.

Should I be concerned about joint accounts that are not mine (I don't file for these) and how can they be protected?

Would like to file in US as non-resident 2018 because of large deductions in Canada - medical and student loans. Am I on the right track and which order should I file US/CDN taxes? What is w8ben form useful for?

Question for 2019 if can maintain residency in Canada (considering that TN is temporary) by returning most weekends? I will reach 183 early 2019.
What are the advantages and disadvantages? Does having Canadian student loans in repayment play a role? Does renting in US or enrolling in US health plan, play a role?

Posts: 16426
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2004 2:33 pm
Location: Nowhere, man

Re: Cndn citizen working in US on TN & Casual work in Canada

Post by nelsona » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:21 pm

You are a Cdn resident from what you describe, so you will be only reporting your US wages on a 1040NR. That form has sufficient space for you to supply information to prove you are Cdn resident, by treaty. Days spent doesn't really matter as the treaty overrides this. Only when you give up your home OR stop visiting Canada so regularly will you be considered non-resident of Canada, and US resident.

As such, you have no other reporting requirements about other accounts or income in Canada.

The problem with student loans and some other deductions is that you need to use these first before you get to use your US taxes as a credit, so you will be using them when you otherwise wouldn't need to.
Wben8 doesn't apply to you at this time.
Nelsona Non grata. Non pro. Search previous posts. Happy Browsing :D

Post Reply