Canadian resident working remotely for Canadian Employer from US (TN/TD)

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

aandrei

Canadian resident working remotely for Canadian Employer from US (TN/TD)

Post by aandrei »

Hi,

As a married couple we moved to US, me with TN, my wife with TD visas. We kept our house in Canada, and we do not intend renting it. My wife works remotely for her Canadian employer and soon have the ITIN number.

Can we do the US taxes separately, as US non-residents, but as Canadian residents? Can my wife NOT fill a tax form in US (or one with zeros as she has no income here), but only the Canadian one?
nelsona

Re: Canadian resident working remotely for Canadian Employer from US (TN/TD)

Post by nelsona »

You are US residents, both be US rules, and by the treaty. Your empty house in Canada doesn't make her resident there -- it is simply a cottage. You both left when you both moved to US, and should be filing a departure return (fulfilling departure requirements) , and filing 1040's as US residents.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D