Form T1142 - how to report an annuity?

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

Mswalleye2

Form T1142 - how to report an annuity?

Post by Mswalleye2 »

Husband inherited lump sum $ in 2016 and also 1/2 of his mothers non qualified annuity in the same year. This was a USA estate handled by his sister in the USA. I did not file Form T1142 because I was unaware of it. He had the option of leaving the money where it was for up to 5 years, he is able to withdraw whenever. AIG states that the contract remains in the name of the deceased, the beneficiary does not become the owner of the contract.

Anyhow, seeing that I failed to fill in T1142 I want to submit a VDP (voluntary disclosre) application. My husband took money out in 2016 and 2017 just to reduce tax hit overall. I claimed the full amount in the USA as it was fully taxable but in Canada I claimed only the yearly interest accrued since he gained access to it.I am now stuck ...

When I file the VDP, do I also submit a completed T1142 with it?

When I report the $$ amount, do I report what the annuity was worth once he gained access, or am I just reporting the $$ taken out ... since it is not really his contract? and then I complete a T1142 each time he takes money from it?

I don't think there would be any money owing as I reported the interest generated.

feedback appreciated
Mswalleye2

Re: Form T1142 - how to report an annuity?

Post by Mswalleye2 »

Disregard the above, .. no T1142 required. I see no option to delete or edit. I was told, by someone who should be up on it .. that I was not reporting the distributions from the annuity right ... so ... I want to be sure ...

When a beneficiary takes a distribution from this death benefit (USA) ... how much and how is it to be reported in Canada?

tks