Part XIII witholding penalty

This is our main tax information forum which deals with topics concerning Canadians living and working in the U.S., U.S. citizens contemplating working in Canada, and all aspects of Canadian and U.S. income tax and related adminstrative issues.

Moderator: Mark T Serbinski CA CPA

ruib77

Part XIII witholding penalty

Post by ruib77 »

I had pre authorized debit setup with CRA for rental tax witholding of Part XIII at 25% rate. I was not aware that it expired in May 2018 and payment stopped since then. Once I learnt few days back I re-setup for another 24 months of upcoming monthly payments. I also paid the remaining unpaid remittance of 2018 online.

Usually witholding amount is around 4 times of actual tax that I pay after all credit and deductions. So, during Jan to May 2018 enough money was withheld to cover taxes for the entire 2018. CRA site says anything over 7 days delay will be penalized at 10% rate. Question is, will it be applicable for my scenario?

Thanks.
nelsona

Re: Part XIII witholding penalty

Post by nelsona »

Contact CRA. It is due every month, so is late. The interest rate is 6% currently.

You should consider filing an NR6, to reduce the amount of withholding you are subject to 25% of your NET.

I assume when you say "credits and deductions" you mean rental expenses, since there are only a few rare deductions given on a 216 return.
nelsona non grata. Non pro. Please Search previous posts, no situation is unique as you might think. Happy Browsing :D
myusername

Re: Part XIII witholding penalty

Post by myusername »

Hey Ruib77,
How did you setup your pre authorized debit with CRA for rental tax witholding of Part XIII at 25% rate?